- USE OF ANONYOUS INFORMATION. We may create anonymous information records from your Personal Information by excluding information (such as your name) that makes the information personally identifiable to you. For clarity, anonymous information means information that is not associated with or linked to your personal information and does not permit the identification of individual persons. We may use this anonymous information for any purpose in our discretion.
We may automatically collect and store information sent by your web browser, such as IP addresses or geolocations in server logs. We also collect standard information about your computer (such as your web browser and operating system) and about your usage of our websites and digital properties (such as pages visited, length of visit, and search queries). This information, which does not identify you personally, is aggregated and used to help diagnose problems and suggest points for improving parts of our website and digital properties.
You may provide us with personally identifying information through electronic forms or emails and we may use this data to send you information, respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions. When you complete an electronic form, you may be asked to enter your name, email address, mailing address, phone number, or other details. We collect this information and use it for internal College purposes, including to send you information about the College, respond to your questions and requests, administer College events, gather statistical information about prospective students and website or mobile app users, and other similar purposes.
Bunker Hill Community College does not sell, rent, give away, or loan any personally identifiable information collected on the website or mobile app to any third party for commercial purposes. We may use such information, or share such information with our third party partners, for internal College purposes, such as to provide and improve our services or communications to users. We may also provide your information to third parties in circumstances where we believe that doing so is necessary or appropriate : as required by law; to prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Bunker Hill Community College , our users, or others.
In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. No method of transmission over the Internet or method of electronic storage, however, is 100% secure.
The website and/or mobile app may contain links to other websites of interest. Bunker Hill Community College does not control third-party websites and is not responsible for the privacy practices or contents of any linked website.
Personally Identifying Information and/or Personal Information
- What is “personal information”?
“Personal information” means any information which relates to or identifies you as an individual including, but are not limited to, name, email, phone numbers, IP address, photo, and educational, financial, employment-related, and health data.
- What does it mean to “process” personal information?
Processing is any operation performed on personal information, such as collecting, destroying, recording, organizing, storing, altering, or disclosing.
- What personal information will be processed?
BHCC will process the information you provide when you request additional information from the BHCC and/or submit your admission application together with the supporting documents requested to complete your application.
- What is the purpose and legal basis of the processing?
BHCC will process your personal information for the purposes of identifying you, processing your request for information or application for admission, verifying the information provided, reaching an admission decision, and communicating that outcome and/or other feedback. BHCC may also process your information for the following statutory obligations, contractual necessity and/or public interest purposes:
- To confirm immigration status;
- For affirmative action and equal opportunity monitoring;
- To prevent or detect fraud or other criminal activity;
- To confirm elementary and secondary education record;
- To assist in providing reasonable accommodations for a disability;
- To provide information as required by applicable law; and
- For research and statistical purposes, but only in a non-identifiable, aggregate format.
Admission decisions are made on a case-by-case basis and are not the result of automated decision-making.
- Who will process my personal information?
For the purposes stated above, during the admission process your personal information will be processed by and shared with the following:
- Admissions Office;
- Financial Aid Office;
- International Studies Office;
- Student Services Office;
- Registrar’s Office;
- Disability Services if an accommodation is requested;
- Institutional Research;
- Student and Exchange Visitor Program Designated School Official;
- Governmental bodies when required by law;
- State authorities in order to perform one or more statutory duties; and
- Third-parties providing specific services to, or on behalf of, the College.
BHCC may subsequently identify other departments or external parties who will process your personal information as you progress through the application process.
- How is my personal information used if I am accepted?
Once you are accepted and begin attending BHCC, your personal information is no longer covered by the GDPR. As a student at BHCC, your personal information shall be processed in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”), a U.S. federal law. To learn about your rights under FERPA, please visit https://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.htm. If your acceptance to the College is for an on-line course or program only, and you remain in an EU member state while participating in the course or program, the GDPR shall continue to apply to the processing of your personal information.
- How long is my personal information kept?
BHCC shall retain and store personal information in accordance with applicable U.S., state, and federal law. If you are accepted, your personal information will be kept as part of your student record for the duration of your studies and, where applicable, a prescribed period of time thereafter.
If you are unsuccessful, your information will be normally kept for at least 2 years after the completion of the application process.
Accessing Your Personal Information
How can I access my personal information?
You have the right to access the personal information that is held about you by BHCC. You also have the right to ask BHCC to correct any inaccurate personal information it holds about you. In order to access your personal information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Who can I contact if I have any questions?
If you have any questions about this policy statement, BHCC’s compliance with the GDPR, or the processing of your personal information, please contact GDPR@bhcc.edu
How do I report a complaint?
If BHCC fails to adequately address your concerns, you also have a right to file a complaint with the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education at: https://www.mass.edu/forstufam/complaints/complaints.asp.
Policy Statement Updates
This policy statement was issued on September 21, 2018. It will be reviewed as necessary and at least annually. Any changes to the policy will be posted on BHCC’s website located at bhcc.edu.